Celebration of National Science day through Science Show by Mr.Nilesh Rana to 2nd EC on 3-3-2017
The prime objective of this celebration was to spread a message among students about the significance of scientific applications in the daily life and removal of various blind beliefs.
The students of E.C. 2nd Semester were given opportunity to have interaction with Rana sir. He came as representative from Rajkot Science Laboratory. He began the session by igniting our curiosity by asking scientific reasons behind daily phenomenon. He was there to give us information about some of the phenomenon which we come across in daily routine. He brought some of the best and interesting science activities which were made from trash. The science activities were: –
- To Take Water out of bottle in short time duration.
- Activity to prove flow of neurological current with a help of giving shock to body.
- Making and understanding cloud with help of isopropyl alcohol.
- Making oxygenated foam by catalytic reaction.
- Making fizzy soda strike
- Having cold fire with isopropyl alcohol
- Transfer of analog data using a)Magnetic field and b)Light (Laser)
- Interesting application of Eddy current.
- Illusions using a)Stroboscope B)RGB LED
- Water bottle activity: – This activity was a sort of game. The one who takes water out of water bottle faster wins. The trick to take the water out faster was to rotate the bottle and create a small vortex inside the bottle.
Principle: – Centrifugal force of water due to rotation pushes it outside and gives a way to air to pass through.
- Proof for existence of neurological currents: – A volunteer was asked to hold two terminals but the condition was to keep the hand straight. Whenever the switch was closed the volunteer would experience a shock which would contract his hands.
Principle: – The muscles of body contract when they are exposed to electric current.
- Formation of cloud: – This activity was a bit interesting. Bottle is filled with isopropyl alcohol vapours, and then it is subjected to high pressure. Due to which the isopropyl gas is converted into super saturated atoms. When the pressure is suddenly released, the temperature decreases and we can see formation of cloud inside the bottle.
Principle: – Whenever a gas is subjected to sudden pressure differences we can see the phase transforming.
- Making oxygenated foam by exothermic catalytic reaction: – A conical flask is half filled with mixture of H2O2 hydrogen peroxide and soap solution. When the KI (Potassium iodide) is mixed with it, hot foam comes out rapidly. This is rich in oxygen, is proved when a burning match stick is pierced in foam and it burns with dazzling flame.
Principle: – H2O2 is unstable. It will try to gain stability by releasing O2. In this process KI acts as a catalyst.
- Having Cold fire: – It sounds impossible but to have a cold fire is possible by burning hand sanitizers or isopropyl alcohol.
Principle: – Hand sanitizers are generally made up of isopropyl alcohol and water. Due to which the heat energy produced by burning the alcohol is spend in heating water. Due to which we feel it cold.
- Transfer of Data: – Data can be analog or digital but analog data can be transferred with help of
- Magnetic field: – It requires a simple arrangement of coils placed in front to each other.
Principle: – Mutual inductance.
- Light: -Laser light is a highly intense, highly directional due to which it is used for the transfer of data.
Principle: -Light is a electromagnetic wave.
- Magnetic application of Eddy current: -In this experiment he used a hollow aluminum pipe. Whenever a diamagnetic material is passed through it under effect of gravity comes to bottom without any resistence. But if a magnet is passed through it then it comes after a great delay.
Principle: -Magnetic field produces eddy current, which opposes the cause of it. This opposition causes delay.
- Light Illusions: –
- a) Stroboscope: – It is scientific device used to measure speed and RPM of moving objects. It works on fast and slow blinking of LED’s.
b)RGB Light: – This device is mixture of Red, Green, Blue lights. With the help of these basic colors we can get many other colors. This device is used in TV’s to get various colours.
Since childhood there were some doubts in mind related magic shows. The session gave me reasons behind the magic of having fire on palm.
The session ended with student’s feedback and vote of thanks by HOD. He also promised to arrange many other scientific sessions.