The National Service Scheme (NSS) is an Indian government-sponsored public service program conducted by the Department of Youth Affairs and Sports of the Government of India. Popularly known as NSS, the scheme was launched in Gandhiji's Centenary year, 1969. Aimed at developing student's personality through community service, NSS is a voluntary association of young people in Colleges, Universities and at +2 level working for a campus-community linkage.
The main objectives of National Service Scheme (NSS) are :
- Understand the community in which they work.
- Understand themselves in relation to their community.
- Identify the needs and problems of the community and involve them in problem-solving.
- Develop among themselves a sense of social and civic responsibility.
- Utilize their knowledge in finding practical solutions to individual and community problems.
- Develop competence required for group-living and sharing of responsibilities.
- Gain skills in mobilizing community participation.
- Acquire leadership qualities and democratic attitudes.
- Develop capacity to meet emergencies and natural disasters.
- Practice national integration and social harmony
NSS VVP unit is working enthusiastically since last 3 years. It feels delighted that NSS unit with 50 volunteers is working wholeheartedly and carrying out various activities. It is proud moment for VVP to share that 4+ village visits, 18+ awareness rallies, 6+ tree plantation camp, clothes/books collection and distribution, school visits, etc are conducted in last three years. Also, blood donation camp is conducted every year on 1st September. Recently, NSS volunteers has received Swachchh Bharat Summer Internship certificates from Government of India. The overall aim of NSS is personality development of students through community service.
Activities undertaken by the NSS unit are listed below:
- National Youth Day on 12th January on the birthday of Swami Vivekananda
- Swachhata Din on 30th January
- Collection of Sainik Welfare and Resettlement Fund
- Distribution of Cloths, Shoes and Books in Slum Area
- Blood Donation Camp
- Thalassemia Test Camp
- Visit at Kathiyawar Nitashrit Balashram
- Summer Internship Program for Swachh Bharat Abhiyan at Sardhar
- Tree plantation
- Personality Cum Leadership Camp
- Visit at Old age Home
- School Visit at Haripar Village
- Free Hemoglobin Test
- Swachhta Pakhwada
- Competition of poems, slogans, tag line and essay on ‘Swachhata Hi Seva hai’.